Feb 9, 2007

A Little Help, Please

There are some issues I would like to post on, but I do not have access to Social Security records on these points. None of this should be secret. Much of it would be available on Social Security's intranet, but, of course, I have no access to that, since I do not work for Social Security. I would appreciate it if some kind soul or souls could send me information on the topics listed below -- and please do not send me intranet links. Send e-mail to charles[at]charleshallfirm.com
  1. Statistics on backlogs of EDCS data entry. I get the impression from my own law practice that a serious backlog is developing in data entry at the District Offices. Claims and appeals are piling up because no one has the time to do the data entry in EDCS. Are any numbers available? Is this making the ODAR backlogs look better (or less bad) than they are?
  2. Statistics on productivity before and after EDIB. EDIB has been in place in some areas long enough that statistics should be available on productivity before and after EDIB. Something tells me that good numbers would have been trumpeted loudly, but I have seen nothing. What do the numbers say?
  3. 800 number error rates. There was a study years ago showing that Social Security's teleservice centers gave bad advice something like half the time when claimants asked even moderately complex questions. I have clients telling me about all kinds of nonsense that they were told when they called Social Security's 800 number. Has Social Security done any recent studies on how accurately teleservice centers respond to inquiries?
  4. Memos about "private" numbers at Field Offices. Anyone who deals much with Social Security Field Offices knows that it is almost impossible to get through if you call the telephone numbers shown in the white pages of the telephone book for Social Security's local Field Office. Every Field Office has one or more"private" telephone numbers that employees and their families can use to get through to the office. Otherwise, a Social Security employee would face a daunting task to even call in sick. I am NOT looking for a list of these "private" numbers. I would be interested in any memos discussing policy on these "private" numbers. Those who work at Social Security or deal with the agency on a regular basis take this situation for granted, but it must seem strange. I would say that it is an indication of something terribly wrong that an employee has to use an unlisted number just to get through to his or her own office.

No comments: