Feb 5, 2007

President's Budget For SSA

Let me start by saying that I am no budget expert and it is very possible that I have misunderstood what is in the President's just released proposed budget for Social Security for 2008. As best I can read it, the proposal would increase Social Security's administrative budget to $9.637 billion, which would be a 4% increase, but the number of employees at Social Security would stay essentially the same, at 59,800 employees. Everyone should keep in mind that the President's proposed budget and what is actually passed by Congress are often very different.

I do see clearly a proposal in the President's budget to lower to 16 the age at which full-time school attendance would be required as a condition for receiving children's benefits under Social Security. That might actually pass.

No comments: