Jul 8, 2008

Client Abducts Social Security Attorney


From the Herald Bulletin of Madison County, Indiana:

Anderson police are still searching for a man who they say abducted his attorney at knifepoint while on their way to the Madison County Jail.

Anderson attorney Thomas Hamer was driving his client Richard Lee Hudson from a successful Social Security benefits hearing in Indianapolis on Monday, when, according to Hamer and police reports, Hudson jumped into the backseat of Hamer’s sport utility vehicle and held a knife to his throat.

Police were called to Rangeline Nature Preserve at 12:41 p.m., Detective Mitch Carroll said, after Hamer flagged down a telephone repair truck going southbound on Rangeline Road for help.

“When we were coming back from Indianapolis, we were right in front of KeyBank (across the street from the jail), and that’s when (Hudson) said ‘I’m not going back to jail,’ or ‘If you think I’m going back to jail you’re crazy’ or something like that,” Hamer said during an interview Monday night.

At that point, Hudson jumped from the passenger’s seat into the backseat behind Hamer, where he held a knife to Hamer’s throat, Hamer said. The attorney said then Hudson said he wanted to go to Maplewood Cemetery because his mother and father were buried there.

“When we got to the cemetery, we kept going farther and farther back, and that’s the first time I thought he was going to kill me,” Hamer said.

According to Hamer, Hudson then tied Hamer’s hands behind his back with a belt and put him in the car.

“He was driving, talking about how he was going to kill his ex-girlfriend,” Hamer said. “I tried talking him out of it, but he was saying he was going to kill her, then commit suicide. What I thought he was going to do was go to this girl’s house, stab her, take the pills — he said he already had the pills, and I thought he would leave me in the car.”

Hudson drove the SUV to Rangeline Nature Preserve, located at 1200 S. Rangeline Road, Hamer said, and the men started walking along one of the trails in the park.

“I said, ‘if you’re going to tie me up, just tie me up here,’” Hamer said. “We went a few steps further and instead of walking on the path, we started walking on the brush. He said if I didn’t do anything stupid, he wouldn’t hurt me.”

Hudson then tied Hamer’s ankles with his old shirt and ran from the scene, leaving in his attorney’s burgundy 2007 Ford Escape hybrid with Hamer’s wallet, cell phone and other personal item.


No comments: