Jan 6, 2009

First Appearance By Patty Duke For Social Security -- And I Find It Spooky

I had posted earlier that Patty Duke had agreed to be a spokesperson for Social Security. Here is a press release touting her first appearance in this role, this time promoting filing claims online, which will probably be the only thing she will be promoting.

The press release also mentions that "Cathy Lane" will be part of the promotional effort. Ms. Duke portrayed someone named "Patty Lane" on her old television show from 1963-1966, as well as someone named "Cathy Lane," who was supposed to be her identical twin cousin. Patty Duke is bipolar. Portraying two characters on her old television show was entertainment. For a bipolar woman to resurrect that second character more than 40 years later is more than a little spooky,to me ,but maybe I am just too familiar with psychiatry. How many people remember that old television program anyway, much less remember that Patty Duke portrayed two characters? I must have seen the show, but I had no recollection of it and had to look it up. Maybe it was just too girly for the teen-aged boy that I was then.

Update: The video that Patty Duke did is now available online and I find it weird. No one but the most ardent Patty Duke fans will be able to appreciate the references to her old show. Was this the theme music to her old show? Something like the old set? I think this is going to mystify a lot of people.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

" Maybe it was just too girly for the teen-aged boy that I was then."

I guess your were more "Mrs. Clever how's the beaver?". LOL

Anonymous said...

I don't find it spooky at all and I doubt that her condition has anything to do with her portrayal of two characters in a Social Security promotion. I expect that it wasn't her choice to "resurrect" the old character she once played, but rather a marketing decision designed to appeal to her generation. I see no correlation between her former roles and her psychiatric condition.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Patti and her remarkable portrayal of Helen Keller!

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is the theme song from the original show and yes, the opening scenes are indeed the "same" as in the original show (only she's much older) and the 2 characters personalities are indeed the same. And I was certainly not an "ardent" Patty Duke show fan to remember this stuff.

Frankly, as a boomer, I was very familiar with the show, and the video hooked into those memes well. Perhaps Mr Hall isn't the demographic that this is aimed at?

Anonymous said...

You're confusing bi-polar with multiple personalities. I thought you said you were familiar with psychiatry.