Oct 22, 2009

Some Clarifications

I had posted that Nancy Shor, the executive director of the National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives (NOSSCR), had mentioned an upcoming hearing of the Social Security Subcommittee of the House Ways and Means Committee during the first week of November. I was not at the NOSSCR meeting last week and had to rely upon someone who was. I am now told that she had only talked about a possible Subcommittee hearing. She said that she assumed the hearing would be about Social Security's backlog. She said that NOSSCR would be able to submit a written statement, indicating support for the continuation of the fee provisions in the Social Security Protection Act.

I had also posted about the Government Accountability Office (GAO) report on data exchanges at Social Security. I was a bit confused in my terminology. I thought that E-Verify was a generic term that covered most of Social Security's data exchanges. The GAO report was not about E-Verify, which involves exchanges with private employers. Instead, it focused on Social Security’s systems for data exchanges with other federal, state, and local agencies, such as Departments of Motor Vehicles data exchanges for purposes of voter registration.

No comments: