Jan 23, 2010

Glad It Worked Out For Him

From the Independent Mail of Anderson, SC (emphasis added):

When Freddie Jordan could no longer feel his hands or his feet, which prevented him from working as a pipe fitter, he was nervous.

For 15 years, he worked with Stover Mechanical as a pipe fitter, and he’d only missed three days of work. Surely, he said, that would count for something when he discovered he could no longer work because of the neuropathy in his hands and his feet. At 57 — just five years short of retirement — he knew he was going to need to apply for disability benefits.

“I was scared,” said Jordan, a Honea Path resident. “The insurance company told me that I was going to need an attorney. And I had heard that some folks had to wait two or three years for their benefits. I didn’t want to lose my land and my truck.”

His fears were eased, he said, when he called the Social Security Administration office in Anderson.

First, they told him he didn’t need a lawyer. Save that money, they said.

“They told me to just tell the truth, and I’d be OK,” Jordan said.

His wait was three months, not three years. Now, for two months, Jordan has been receiving his benefits.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems more like a fairy tale.If i could change the law,i would remove age consideration.And let disability stand based on affects of impairment only.

Anonymous said...

Lots of people who are clearly disabled receive quick decisions. It happens everyday.

Anonymous said...

what time warp was he able to slip through...doubt he will be able to use the same one for getting medicare.
glad it worked out for him is right!
I'm a former voc rehab counselor who who got ssdi on the basis of one attorney letter after initial denial but I had to wait 15 months 10 years ago with 4 well documented disabilities...........

Anonymous said...

thanks for that awesome story about how you got tricked by your attorney into believing he/she was the "basis" for you receiving benefits!

hahaha, i'll be laughing about that one all day.