Aug 23, 2011

Earthquake!

     There has been an earthquake which may have been centered in the Washington, DC area. The earthquake was felt as far north as New York City. I can report that it was felt as far south as Raleigh. I hope there has been no serious damage.
    Update: The earthquake was apparently centered near Louisa and Mineral, VA, which, I believe, is a fairly lightly populated area but not far from Richmond and Charlottesville. It was a magnitude 5.9.
    Further update: This is apparently the biggest earthquake in the recorded history of the state of Virginia.  What happened at Social Security headquarters? I have heard that the Pentagon and many other government buildings in Washington were evacuated.
     By the way, please, no smug comments from Californians.
     Further update: Social Security headquarters have closed for the day because of the earthquake.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah baby were are going home.

Anonymous said...

http://www.ssa.gov/hqalert/index.jsp

Anonymous said...

Attn: 2:31 - I have to assume you work in PC7 because of your poor grammar...

Anonymous said...

The Commish decided that the engineers should double-check the structural integrity of the buildings so he sent folks home.

Anonymous said...

"I have to assume you work in PC7 because of your poor grammar."

Good guess. LOL I typed that as I was shutting down my PC. That's what happens when you do things in a hurry. Best thing is it saved me two hours leave, since I had a leave slip in to leave early today.