May 18, 2012

More On Yesterday's Hearing

     I had some time today, while I did other things, to listen to yesterday's Senate Finance Committee hearing. Here are some things I heard that seemed noteworthy to me:
  • Commissioner Astrue said that the technology used for Social Security video hearings before Administrative Law Judges had gotten so good that one could see the watermark on a drivers license.[That is not close to my experience. Often I can hardly recognize the people on the other end.]
  • A quote from Commissioner Astrue responding to a question about the number of Social Security employees who are eligible or near eligible to retire: "I'm close to panic about holding onto our people."
  • Social Security has a system which reports episodes of violence or threatened violence affecting Social Security offices. There used to be about 500 reports a year. It's now around 2,500.
  • Ticket to Work is a "disappointment." The actuaries say it is not cost effective.
  • Astrue said emphatically at about one hour into the hearing that it is not the law that attorneys and others who represent Social Security disability claimants are required to submit all medical evidence.
  • The Commissioner is uncertain whether current law which gives Social Security Commissioners fixed terms which can overlap Presidential Administrations is a good idea. He seemed to indicate that he thinks it is a bad idea.
  • Astrue said that his continuing as Commissioner after the change in the White House was not what the incoming Obama Administration wanted.
  • He does not want another term as Commissioner. He wants to return to Massachusetts.
     Please listen to it yourself. It has its dull moments but also some interesting ones. It's certainly more interesting than most of these.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ALJs in my office would certainly not agree that the video clarity is as wonderful as Astrue claims.

Anonymous said...

I watched the hearing too. Having served under several COSSs, this guy was one of the best, IMO.

Anonymous said...

A while ago, I had absolutely no use for Astrue. I thought he was a political hack who just wanted to pad his resume, and was in over his head. My view has changed over the past year--I think he sincerely wants to improve Social Security, and is trying to show some leadership,but is stuck with no resources . He has no choice but to close and consolidate offices to save staff. He is pleading his case to a split congress of both parties who are paying no attention. this is exacerbated by a complete absence of leadership from the White House.
I wish him well after his term ends.

Anonymous said...

I probably shouldn't like him because he was a Bush appointee, but other than his prolonged and nasty fight with AFGE he's been an honest broker, a strong and visionary leader, and a real fighter for the agency and its mission. We'll miss him when he's gone. Just hope Obama has a chance to name his replacement.

Anonymous said...

I too have to say Astrue has earned my grudging respect. He has the most forceful personality I've ever seen in a commish.

Anonymous said...

I am glad Astrue is leaving. He embarrassed the agency by throwing a 700,000 party at the Biltmore Arizona that Congressman Issa is investigating. He despised the union and never found a middle ground until recently. He gave huge bonuses to upper management staff. It is time for fresh ideas and a better leader that looks out for all employees.

Anonymous said...

I must say, I'm pleased to read the grudging (sometimes) respect that Michael has earned, presumably from folks who work for him. He ain't perfect, but he's a talented and dedicated guy--or was 20 years ago when I knew him and he appears to be today also. Given his Bush/Republican appointment and the Obama administration, I think he's managed things as well as anyone could expect. Good job, Mike. Have a great time in Mass.