Your Government Shutdown News
You can follow the government shutdown news minute by minute by going to the National Review's tweettracker but I can tell you that there's nothing of consequence going on.
- Republicans in the House of Representatives are going ahead with small appropriations bills covering a few agencies. The Senate will reject these.
- The polls look bad for the Republicans but those most committed to the confrontation over the Affordable Care Act believe that this will turn around.
- Democrats may insist that any solution to the government shutdown include a solution to the debt ceiling problem as well.
- There is much discussion about divisions within the Republican majority in the House of Representatives and divisions between House and Senate Republicans but no discussion about divisions among the Democrats.
- Republican pundits seize upon minor details such as the closure of the World War II Memorial in Washington.
- There is no sign of any significant discussions between Republicans and Democrats to resolve this crisis. Basically, each is waiting for the other to crack. Just about everyone, including most Republicans, believes the GOP will crack first.
Labels: Government Shutdown
Share |Follow @SocSecBlog