The Social Security Advisory Board convened the 2014 Disability Policy Panel to study Continuing Disability Reviews. Here are the Panel's recommendations:
- Provide Continuing Disability Review (CDR) Funding that is adequate, predictable, and sustained
- Retain the Medical Improvement Review Standard (MIRS) and strengthen its implementation
- Strengthen other payment integrity tools
- Strengthen links between CDRs and support for return to work
- CDRS for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) children and youth: 1) SSA should communicate expectations of independence to youth beneficiaries whose medical improvement is expected or possible. 2) As with the adult population, the Panel recommends that Congress continue the employment support services of the Ticket to Work program for one additional year. 3) The training recommended for the medical review standard should be extended to include examples unique to children.