Jan 23, 2009

Hiring At OGC

I am hearing a report that Social Security's Office of General Counsel (OGC) will be hiring dozens of new attorneys in the near future with little advance notice. These jobs are not showing up on USAJobs, although that site does show more job openings at Social Security of other types than I have seen in a few months. It probably ought to show more job openings since Social Security will be hiring lots of people once it has the money and that is coming within a month or so.

If you are interested in one of these OGC jobs, I suggest checking the USAJobs website daily and, perhaps, calling OGC to ask what is going on, if you can find their phone number. If you already work at Social Security, I expect that you can find that number. If you do not work at Social Security, I hope some kind person will post it. If you wonder why I cannot supply the phone number, well, Social Security's attitude for some years has been that its telephone numbers, apart from its 800 number, are close to being a secret, but I imagine that most people reading this far already knew that. Social Security's website shows a telephone number for its main headquarters personnel office, (410) 965-4506, but I would not bet on that office knowing anything yet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.ssa.gov/careers/ogcnearestyou.htm

Anonymous said...

SSA needs to find something to do with all of the newbie lawyers hired as Federal Reviewing Officials for the disastrous Region I Disability Service Improvment experiment. I'm sure they will do just as terrific a job at OGC.

Anonymous said...

Just add them to the attorney/advisor pool. Those decisions are starting to come through, and it is a positive development.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I believe they moved those that were left to the Appeals Council

Anonymous said...

OGC does not use USAJOBS or the OPM process to hire attorneys

Anonymous said...

SSA needs CRs, BAs and CAs, so lets go hire a bunch of lawyers.

I still like the oldie, but goodie joke.

What do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A start.