Apr 17, 2013

I Had It Backwards

     I had posted earlier that Social Security's databases would allow one to identify many of those in this country most impaired by mental illness. I thought that this information might be used to prevent those mentally impaired individuals from obtaining guns. My post was somewhat confirmed by the fact that Social Security has a representative on an eight member White House working group on reducing gun violence. Looks like I was sort of right. I just had it backwards. Social Security's Office of Inspector General (OIG) had the bright idea of obtaining concealed-carry records and using them to cut people off Social Security disability benefits. I understand why the presence of serious mental illness would be evidence that might disqualify someone from owning a gun. I just don't see how the obverse would be true. Why would owning a gun be proof that a person is not disabled? A seriously mentally ill person who owned a gun would be displaying poor judgment but poor judgment caused by mental illness is a major reason that people are put on Social Security disability benefits to begin with!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

social Security OIG is a joke and a complete waste of taxpayers' money. They consistently ignore or reject fraud referrals, no matter how egregious or well-documented. They do no investigation--it is left to the field offices to do all of the work(in their spare time) and present it to OIG neatly wrapped up in a bow. It does not surprise me at all that they would try something this stupid.

Anonymous said...

Maybe because to get a concealed carry permit (admittedly I am working off my legal knowledge from the two states where I have lived once becoming an attorney) one has to take a long, fact-filled class (or classes) (this shows ability to maintain CPP), pass tests after that class (this also shows CPP and other mental faculties), and fill out paperwork with the county sheriff's office (and keep up with/renew that permit regularly) (which shows memory faculty, etc).

Hardly dispositive, but if you think about the things one has to do to get and keep a concealed carry permit, relevant evidence regarding one's mental functioning.

Anonymous said...

Depends on the state--some states have a "will issue", which means as long as you pass the normal background checks, you are good to go.