Jul 17, 2020

OIG Report On Field Office Service

     In response to a request from Congressman John Larson, the Chairman of the House Social Security Subcommittee, Social Security's Office of Inspector General (OIG) has produced a report on Field Office Customer Service. Below are some tables and charts from that report. Click on each image to view full size.
     By the way, the transmittal letter from Gail Ennis, the Inspector General, says that "My office is committed to combating fraud, waste, and abuse in the Agency’s operations and programs." That's fine but there's no mention of customer service being part of OIG's mission even in a report on customer service. That may tell you something there about how Ms. Ennis views her office's responsibilities. Would her office ever look at customer service without being prodded to do so by Congress?









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that wait time once the person has checked in to the office? At the field office I went to most frequently pre-pandemic, the line is usually out the door and around the building to check in. They pull you out of line if you have an appointment and check you in, but even that process takes a while. Then once you're checked in, if you have an appointment it's usually pretty quick (though not the 5ish minutes the chart shows...maybe 10-15 minutes). But for those without an appointment, you can be in line for an hour just to get checked in, and I don't know how SSA would be measuring that time. There's nobody outside marking when you joined the line on the sidewalk.

Unknown said...

Time to get office appointment was approximately 14 days on average. There were no lines out the door and everyone checked in on a screen. Wait time for my appointments avg. 10 minutes

Anonymous said...

In 2019 they left me there so long at field office ssa. San antonio tx east
The representatives all went home.
Forgot I was in the lobby and the security was the one that was worried about me. Since I waited 5 years for my RSDI AFTER WORKING 32 YRS. I WAS THAT HURT N CONFUSED THAT THEY WOULD TREAT ME A DISABLED PERSON THAT WAY. I CAME HOME AND CRIED SO MUCH. HORRIBLE
STILL TODAY I SEE THE SUFFERING SHAME ON SSA

Anonymous said...

And what has happened to staffing levels over this time?