Oct 24, 2020

Arrests In International Fraud Scheme

      From a press release:

Two Riverside County [CA] men were arrested today on an indictment alleging they participated in an international conspiracy that deceived elderly victims into sending more than $500,000 in cash by pretending to be federal agents threatening them with arrest on bogus warrants.

The federal grand jury indictment unsealed today charges a total of three Lake Elsinore residents with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and wire fraud:

  • Anuj Mahendrabhai Patel, 30, a.k.a. “Mike” and “Indio”;
  • Elmer Miranda Barrios, 35, whose aliases include “Welbin Raul Mejia” and “Joe Rodriguez”; and
  • William Margarito Barrios, 36, Elmer Barrios’s cousin, who faces an additional charge of being an illegal alien who re-entered the United States following deportation....

According to court documents, from April 2019 until March 2020, other members of the conspiracy, some of whom are believed to be in India, telephoned victims and pretended to be government employees or law enforcement officers. Using a number of false pretenses – including phony badge numbers and using spoofed government telephone numbers – the co-conspirators convinced the victims, most of whom were over the age of 55, that their identities or assets were in trouble. 

For example, some victims were told that their Social Security numbers had been linked to crimes and that there were warrants issued by courts authorizing the victims’ arrests. The co-conspirators further told the victims that in order to clear the warrants, they should withdraw their savings and send cash by mail to other members of the scheme. ...

The total loss alleged in this case is approximately $541,420 ...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When these jokers called me (a couple of times) I went along and when they asked me for my SSN, I asked them why they needed it since they obviously had to have it in order to identify me - and given they had found my phone number, they should already have it since they know who I am and where I am at. So why do you need it from me? I asked back? Other end - 2 beats of silence. Then "click".

Anonymous said...

@7:48

My general response is, "sure, let me get my wallet" then I just leave my phone on till they hang up. It at least wastes a few minutes of their time so that someone else is not getting scammed.