Oct 14, 2007

Anectodal Report On Social Security Service

From the blog of Matthew Yglesias, a writer for the Atlantic Magazine:

Tons of people seem puzzled as to why I would need a physical Social Security card. The answer is that I need it as proof of Social Security Number in order to (belatedly) convert my New York driver's license into a DC one.

Incidentally, service at the Social Security Administration office at 2100 M Street was very prompt. I'd sort of been expecting an interminable wait during which I could make a serious dent in The Conscience of a Liberal but my number got called almost as soon as I was finished filling out the brief form. The employees working at the office were polite and helpful. Bureaucracy works!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah and talk to people that deal with this office and I'm sure you will get a very different story:

SOCIAL SECURITY
4365 SHACKLEFORD RD
NORCROSS, GA 30093

Anonymous said...

I'd also note that the "M Street" office discussed here is the main SSA district office in Downtown DC, not too many blocks from the White House and Congress. It doesn't take a genius to understand that SSA makes sure that this office is fully staffed, properly trained and completely equipped at all times.