Sep 24, 2017

Online Social Security Fraud Decreasing

     From Social Security's Office of Inspector General (OIG):
... [I]n 2012, SSA implemented my Social Security, an internet portal that allows people to create a personal online account to access their Social Security information. In January 2013, SSA enhanced my Social Security to allow beneficiaries to change their direct deposit bank information. The innovation was helpful for SSA and beneficiaries alike; however, soon after SSA added the direct deposit function, the agency began to receive reports of misdirected benefits due to unauthorized direct deposit changes in my Social Security....
To address this issue, SSA said it would strengthen controls over my Social Security accounts to address fraud and improve service to beneficiaries. ...
Our auditors followed-up on this issue in a recent report, and they estimated the amount of misdirected benefit payments from 2014 to 2016 was considerably less than it was in 2013. ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Overall I would say this is really quite outstanding given the number of major breaches we have seen over those years. Thank you for this data, it provides a solid framework for discussion.

Anonymous said...

From the number of cases we see in the office I work in, large/metro, the 2016 number is a little hard to believe...