Sep 29, 2017

The Struggle To Work As A Schizophrenic

     Erica Crompton has written a moving piece for the New York Times describing her struggle to work as a schizophrenic -- actually now her diagnosis is schizoaffective disorder but that doesn't affect the story.
     In reading this piece, you may want to say "See, that shows you can work even if you're a schizophrenic." However, her work history has been extremely fragmented. Fragmentation is an inevitable part of schizophrenia, affecting both work and private life. It's part of the disease. By the end of the story, Crompton isn't earning enough to support herself. Maybe most important, Crompton is a talented writer. She has had opportunities that are not open to the vast majority of schizophrenics and she still can't support herself.
     I've said it many times. Social Security ought to just go ahead and approve every last disability claim filed by a person suffering from schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Very few people who suffer from either of these conditions are able to maintain regular employment for extended periods of time. Social Security approves a lot of these claims but not all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perspective is an interesting thing. I am very proud of this young woman even making the attempts with such stacked odds. The nature of her condition is one that no reasonable person would wish on an enemy. Even in the face of nearly sure defeat, she strives forward. Where you may see continued failed attempts and spotty work, I see a gallant effort, continued perseverance and courage. The stigma of mental health conditions runs far deeper than the current wave of populism in country. Her story shows greater depth of character than either the standing or kneeling and is infinitely greater than the keyboard patriots of both sides on social media.


You go Erica! You Rock!!!

Anonymous said...

@9:20

Continued failed attempts and spotty work and a gallant effort, continued perseverance, and courage are not contradictory. Recipients of disability benefits are not cowardly, weak willed, or craven.

Anonymous said...

I am unsure how you read that into my statement. I was simply applauding her continued efforts despite her condition. No where did I say coward weak willed or craven.

Spin on my friend, spin on!!!

Anonymous said...

@11:20

I fully support both of your statements. Don't question yourself -- your first comments were more than clear and I appreciate them. Schizophrenia is a terrible disease and I've seen it destroy healthy, productive people who were turned into isolated misunderstood and depressingly unproductive individuals. All through no fault of their own.

Erica Crompton said...

Hi there, I'm Erica, the author of this piece and I'd like to thank you for your lovely article & comments - means a lot. I continue to strive forward and graduate with a degree in Fine Art this July. You can see the fruits of my studies on the Medfed.co site linked here. Have a look and if you'd like to write for the site I will pay you in artworks ☺ all my best wishes