Dec 22, 2023

Christmas Carols For Psychiatric Patients

     I deal with a lot of clients with psychiatric illness. Most Social Security and Disability Determination employees deal with the same mix of claimants. The piece below has been around for years. It may be a bit insensitive but it's funny.

BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER:
Thoughts of Roasting on an Open Fire

DEMENTIA:
I Think I'll Be Home for Christmas

DEPRESSION:
Silent Anhedonia, Holy Anhedonia, All is Flat, All is Lonely.

MANIC:
Deck the Halls and Walls and House and Lawn and Streets and Stores and Office and Town and Cars and Busses and Trucks and Trees and Fire Hydrants and...

MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER:
We Three Queens Disoriented Are

NARCISSISTIC:
Hark the Herald Angels Sing About Me

OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE DISORDER:
Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock,............(better start again)

PARANOID:
Santa Claus is Coming to Get Me.

PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE PERSONALITY:
On the First Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me (and then took it all away).

PERSONALITY DISORDER:
You Better Watch Out, I'm Gonna Cry, I'm Gonna Pout, Maybe I'll tell you Why.

SCHIZOPHRENIA:
Do you Hear What I Hear?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Hope you shared that with your clients.

Anonymous said...

No, it's not at all funny.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is extremely insensitive, especially in the business we are in.

Anonymous said...

Oh brother!

I can see this going viral on social media with the headline:

"Disability Lawyer Makes Fun of Disabled People."

John Whitelaw, Community Legal Aid Society, Inc., Delaware said...

Not funny.
Please do not do this.
And I will post with my name.
I greatly admire the work you do, but not this.
Please take it down.

Dave Hatfield said...

Love what you do, Charles, but this post is not funny and is definitely insensitive, particularly coming from a disability rights professional. Please remove.

Anonymous said...

HA! I'm bipolar, I totally enjoyed this! It's soooo true! We gotta laugh at our disabilities or we'll sink into a bad place. Ya'll lighten up, ay?

Anonymous said...

I think it's funny. Some may find it insensitive but I wouldn't worry about them. We can all use an occasional laugh.

Anonymous said...

I dont think Charles is being mean or disrespectful.
This falls under the category if you dont laugh you will cry.
All of us have had clients that have these conditions Either individually or in combination. And then we go to a hearing and have an ALJ say that the client can do a simple job with no contact with the general public and only occasionally contact with co workers and supervisors and be absent one day a month and off task 10 per cent of the time. Sure. Now they can get all the help they need...
Sometimes you just have to laugh

Anonymous said...

When did a disability become a laughing matter?

Anonymous said...

I’m also bi-polar and don’t find this offensive at all.

My disability doesn’t define me. You have to be able to laugh at things sometimes. This world is too messed up not have fun and laugh.

Anonymous said...

It’s beginning to look a lot like malingering.

Anonymous said...

@8:03 - When you have one and you know if you don't laugh, you'll cry.