The proposed regulations that will make it impossible for some Social Security disability recipients who have representative payees to purchase firearms will appear in the Federal Register tomorrow. Some points to keep in mind:
- Remember this is just a proposal. Nothing is going into effect at this time. If Donald Trump gets elected President, it is unlikely to go into effect.
- This isn't about seizing anyone's guns. It would only prevent some people with serious psychiatric problems from buying guns.
- It would only apply to people drawing Social Security disability benefits who meet or equal a Listing for psychiatric illness. These are people with very serious mental health problems.
- It wouldn't apply to anyone drawing Social Security retirement benefits.
- Those who would be affected by this proposal will still have an avenue to prove that it's safe for them to buy firearms.
- Don't believe all the nonsense you hear from the NRA. The black helicopters aren't coming to seize your guns and force you into a concentration camp. This proposal isn't the beginning of the apocalypse.