Jun 17, 2018

Who Knew? Limit On Social Security Card Replacement

     I've still got the yellowed Social Security card I got when my mother took me to the local Social Security office at age 16 to get a Social Security number. In those days you didn't get a Social Security number or card at birth; only when you needed to get one to take a job.  It's a good thing I've not been in the habit of losing my Social Security card because Forbes reports that there's a cap on the number of times you can get a new card without jumping through a lot of hoops.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The limits are three in one year and 10 total lifetime. These limits were put in place based upon The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act (IRTPA) of 2004 (Public Law 108-458.

The only cards that count against the limit are replacement cards issued since 12/17/2015. Name change cards don't count.

Once you've exceeded one of the limits, you can only get a replacement card if you have a letter from an employer or public assistance agency stating you must present a card as a condition of employment or to receive a benefit.



Anonymous said...

I have seen folks with 15-20 replacement cards and more. Some get them every time they need one for welfare apparently as it would take some effort to misplace or lose that many cards.