Jul 30, 2016

A Social Security Casebook

     There's old saying that law school isn't set up to teach people the law. It's set up to teach people how to think like a lawyer. This won't make much sense to you if you're not a lawyer but, trust me, it does make sense to anyone who's gone through law school only to realize that they really didn't know much about the law. Given that the focus of law school has more to do with modes of thinking and less with the practical aspects of practicing, you'd expect that Social Security law wouldn't be taught much and you'd be right. However, some law schools do teach the subject. Professor Jon Dubin of Rutgers Law School was kind enough to send me a copy of a Social Security casebook that he and Frank Bloch, Emeritus Professor at Vanderbilt Law School, put together. Actually, this is at least the second edition of the book. It's quite good. I would recommend it to anyone learning Social Security law. 
     I have to say that looking at the price of the book brought home to me how long it's been since I was in law school. I think I remember casebooks being about $30-$40 back then but, of course, we were studying by whale oil lamps back then!

3 comments:

Mohamed Ali said...

$$$ GENUINE LOAN WITH LOW INTEREST RATE APPLY $$$
Do you need finance to start up your own business or expand your business, Do you need funds to pay off your debt? We give out loan to interested individuals and company's who are seeking loan with good faith. Are you seriously in need of an urgent loan contact us.

Email: shadiraaliuloancompany1@gmail.com
Phone No: +919873186890.

Anonymous said...

@11:37

Come now I don't think Professor Dubin's casebook is THAT expensive.

Anonymous said...

When I was in law school from the mid to late 1980's, U TN had a course which combined WC and Social Security Disability taught by Professor Joseph King. It was great. I still have the book Professor King compiled for the SSA Disability portion, although it is well worn. The course and book was certainly useful when I was hired as a Staff Attorney by ODAR right out of law school. It remained on the top shelf of the bookcase in my office until I was pushed out the door as a SA nearly 3 decades later.