Apr 15, 2020

Trump Administration Relents -- SSI Recipients Will Get Stimulus Payments Without Need To File "Tax Return"

     From a press release:
The Social Security Administration announced today that Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients will automatically receive their Economic Impact Payments directly to their bank accounts through direct deposit, Direct Express debit card, or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their SSI benefits. Treasury anticipates SSI recipients will receive these automatic payments no later than early May.  

“SSI recipients with no qualifying children do not need to take any action in order to receive their $1,200 economic impact payment. The payments will be automatic,” said Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin. “Recipients with qualifying children should use the ‘Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here’ web portal to enter basic information so they can receive their payments as quickly as possible.” ...
     This means that SSI recipients with children as well as those with pending disability claims who have not filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019 still need to file the "tax returns" but that's a much smaller problem.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness. It was ridiculous to require them to file a tax return. Good news.

Anonymous said...

What happens now to the ssi recipients without dependents who filed out the non-filers form on the irs website. Did we screw up by filing there?

Anonymous said...

All that wasted outrage.

Anonymous said...

@8:26

It appears to have been very productive outrage.

Anonymous said...

You think the outrage had ANYTHING to do with it you are delusional.

Anonymous said...

@1:01

I do not believe I am delusional, although that is what a delusional person might say.

I generally attribute this change in policy to the executive branch recognizing that making DIB/SSI recipients is an unnecessary step which just delays money from going out the door. In this instance, money going out the door is meant to create economic stimulus, which is in the president's self-interest.

As to what brought about that recognition, I believe that came about due to public outcry as I am not aware of much internal debate on the issue within the executive branch.

Although the current circumstance tests my long-held rule pretty regularly, never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance.

mpharn said...

Do we really believe all SS recipients are going to get this payment? Why can’t they give us a deposit date like they did the tax filers? I’ve seen : the near future, by May, end of April but never a date.

Anonymous said...

Not all tax filers got a deposit date. They need my banking information, and I've tried on 4 different dates to give it to them through "Get My Payment" on the IRS website, and each time I get to the end and it says "Technical difficulties" and tells me to try again later. I've used their "Direct Pay" quite a few times with no problem, so I don't know why they can't get this, which does the same thing, to work properly. I'm giving up - I'll wait for the check, and then probably hold on to it until the banks re-open. I don't need the money - I'm working remotely and not spending much because I don't go anywhere (and the USPS is not delivering packages at my address, for some reason).